Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 14, 2011

My first posting

Welcome to my little blog about recycling your old fabric items into something new. My daughters and I have been enjoying the creative process for several years. But recently a friend suggested I blog about it and post photos so others can share the fun. 

My youngest daughter Audrey is pictured in a green silk dupioni bodice that was created from an old curtain that I got from a sewing client. I had made her new curtains for her house and she was tossing out this beautiful green piece when I saved it from the pile. I ended up making a costume out of part of it for some theater production. When we found this leftover scrap in my fabric bins, we knew it was perfect for her graduation outfit from Middle School. 

Audrey wanted a "corset" look but not something adult. So we used McCall's 4455 as a starting point. We tried the pattern out in a scrap of white first to get the fit right for her. We had to cut it down a bit since she is a size 0 and the pattern is a 4-10. We made the top about 2 inches longer than the pattern.  In view C, the front laces up and instead of a zipper, we opened up the back with a placket and added buttonholes. The fabric covered buttons down the back added a classic look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment