Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Remaking of Jess's skirt, DIY for a thrift store skirt that is too big!


This is the giant size 20 skirt we found at Goodwill Thrift shop. Jess loved the blue color and the skirt had a swirly factor thanks to the v-shaped godets inserted around in sections. We did not want to lose that great wrap around sash either but Jess is a tiny size 5.

I carefully measured on Jess to get the right size and cut out one section of the skirt including the godet and the sash. I wanted to leave the zipper in tacked if possible. I am sorry, but I really HATE replacing zippers. It is a pain.


After removing this section, I picked out just the godet or v-shaped piece so I could reinsert it to the side when I sewed it back up to fit Jess. I also needed to make sure those two sash or tie pieces got back in at the waistband. It ended up being fairly easy to pick out the piece and put it back in to that side. Since the zipper stayed in tacked, Jess had a new skirt that fit and still twirled.
Next up we hope to teach Jess to keep her eyes open when we take her picture!!!


The blue color looks so awesome on Miss Jess. This skirt was on sale for half price the day we picked it up so we spent $1.75 and about an hour repairing it. Not bad!

Secondly, long overdue photos of the floral skirt that Jess made herself this summer. She worked hard to learn to stitch straight and add the ribbon trim. Audrey and Jess took to sewing like pros in the making. Maybe they will become famous designers of one of a kind, Up-Cycled clothing.

Jess in the finished product! I am so proud of her and still waiting on Audrey to finish hers!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I think it is a great skill for children to learn. I learnt to sew myself when an adult. My 9 year old has been sewing by hand and on the sewing machine since she was 6 years old. She loves making her own creations, her favourite on the sewing machine are her own designed headbands and by hand she makes lovely embroidered felt bookmarks. Karima :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I started sewing in 2nd grade and have been at it ever since. Even my two boys, both in their 20's can sew quite well and won ribbons at the County Fair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! My Name is Stephanie, and I was wondering If you would be interested in donating an Item or two for a giveaway I'm throwing in exchange for 2 months of advertising
    on my blog! if you could email me at

    stephig12345@aim.com

    That would be great! Thanks!

    Stephanie
    stephig12345@aim.com
    www.stephisonblogger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete